Monday, November 14, 2016

The Dining Room Table

Organizing a household filled with five children, two parents, and one super-fun aunt is akin to putting order to a 3 year-old's scribbles.  Now that three of the five kids are in school, I'm finding that keeping my dining room table in order is ridiculously difficult.  The table, on any given day, is a school desk, mail catcher, art room, random-crap-collector... and, oh yeah, we eat at it as well.

It's insane.

While I wish it would look like this:
Image result for pretty dining room table
(gloriously unrealistic dining room)

It almost always looks more like this:
Displaying image1.JPG
(hodge podge of life dining room table *note hotwheels under the table*)

We normally use wipe-able placemats for everyone but whether or not someone finds time to wipe them after every meal is a crapshoot. And since when do my 8, 5, and 3 year olds have any clue that food and drinks should stay within the boundaries of the mat anyways?!

I've tried a pretty tablecloth... but if I'm lucky, it lasts approximately 24 hours before having to be hurled into the laundry with some juice, marker, or food stain.

So I'm looking for ideas. I'd like to preserve what's left of the pretty-ness of my dining room table, but I'm annoyed with every method I've tried. Anyone have something tried and true for me??

No comments:

Post a Comment