Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pure Country - 20 years later

Thanks to some very generous Christmas presents in the form of cash, Andrew and I were able to take a RARE but AWESOME expensive date night. Last weekend we double dated with George Strait and Martina McBride-- and we were so privileged that they serenaded us!!

The concert was phenominal. Easily in my top five. But there was one thing that I was not prepared for...

I was super duper pumped to see George. I love his music. I love his swagger. I love his country-boy-ness. I used to imagine myself to be Harley in Pure Country. Perhaps some mysterious cowboy would come sweep me off my feet. So I went to the concert all excited to see this man:

(Yummy)

After Martina gave a rocking 70 minute performance, my excitement built even more. The intermission ended, and I was more excited. When the lights dimmed again, I was practically beside myself. And then... this man walked out:

(Jigga-what?)

Holy Grandpa!!! When did THAT happen?? I leaned over to Andrew and said, "Awww... he looks like a Grandpa... I kind of want to give him a hug." There were at least 10 other moments like this through George's performance when I leaned over to Andrew and commented on how much older he looked than I thought he would. I mean, people, it blew my mind! Then George announced that his son had just had a kid.  He actually IS a grandpa!!!  

Dear Paula Cole, in answer to your question, "where have all the cowboys gone?"... I say "They're still around.  They've just aged... A LOT."

Now I don't know why I was so shocked by this. When Pure Country came out, I looked like this:
(Technically this was 1994... but close enough.  Check out those glasses!)

And now, I look like this:

(I'm the old one.)

Could someone explain how 20 years just blipped out of my life?!

2 comments:

  1. LOL... I often have these moments. We are now the age our parents were when they were raising us! Blows my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! It happens to the best of us.

    ReplyDelete